Marlay House: Genealogy Day
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Marlay House, Marlay Park, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin – Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown
17 August, 2pm - 5pm
A tour of the friary located in Timoleague village, founded by the Franciscan monks on the site of an ancient monastery on the banks of the Airgideen River, overlooking Courtmacsherry Bay.
The village derives its name from this 7th century saint: Tigh Molaga (The House of Molaga). The exact date of the friary’s founding is unknown but it is generally accepted it was not earlier than 1240, and that it was well established by 1316. Two of the most powerful families in the region, the Gaelic McCarthys and Norman Barrys, are both credited with its building and maintenance. This tour is by local historians Diarmuid Kingston and Michael O'Mahony.