The 1901 Census shows 68 thatched houses in Clogh - today we have three. This is the story of how a community restored and protected them.
One house was purchased by our Community Housing Group; two are owned privately. “House 1” was empty for many years. The old thatch was removed; original roof timbers were reused; the walls and chimneys were strengthened; one gable wall was rebuilt. Philip Doran was the Thatcher – he used reed for the thatch. Work was completed December 2019.
“House 2” had been occupied; it was structurally sound and needed a full thatch. Philip Doran began work in January 2020, using straw. The weather was kind to him and he finished work in February 2020.
“House 3” may be the oldest of the houses and the most important. It is affectionately named “Phe’s” after Philip Barron a granduncle of the present owner. It’s also described as the last Mine's Cottage - in an area which once had many coal mines. The house has two small rooms, a large open fire, and no bathroom. One room has a flag stone floor, and the thatch is exposed inside. Work on the house began in June 2021. The straw which is growing at the moment, should be ready in mid August.
Francis Coady, Architectural Conservation Officer, Kilkenny County Council advised on all aspects of the work. Funding came from Kilkenny County Council, Department of Housing and Local Government and Heritage. “House 3”, the family raised funding via GoFundMe.