Kilkenny County Council
The new Butler Gallery at Evans’ Home developed by Kilkenny County Council opens to the public in August. The delivery of the Evans’ Home project in collaboration with the Butler Gallery, is another example of the adaptive reuse of an historic building with the added bonus of a major new public space. The historic urban centre of Kilkenny City retains much of its early fabric which is a valuable economic & tourism resource. By preserving characteristic features of the City, Kilkenny County Council seeks to maintain and nurture its environment and cultural heritage as part of its identity. Evans’ Asylum/Home originated in a charitable bequest from Joseph Evans (d. 1818) and was built on the site of an infantry barracks & former 13th century Augustinian Priory. While very centrally located in the city, the building as an Architectural landmark is little known due to its enclosed nature. It was always important that the building be adapted for an appropriate use and in a sensitive manner. The works have transformed the existing building, and its gardens into a destination for art, archaeology, history, education and leisure and brings a very significant building in the City's history back into public use.