From mill to forge, from mind to hand – discovering Ireland’s industrial past
The 2015 National Heritage Week photography competition theme is Ireland’s Industrial and Design Heritage.
National Heritage Week is a part of European Heritage Days which is celebrated in over 40 countries across Europe. In 2015 33 countries have agreed to come together to share a common theme to help raise the profile and awareness of the value of industrial and design heritage to people across Europe.
Our shared industrial past is a story of change, development and creativity and of the men and women who were a part of that story whether as mill worker, a dock worker or the proud owner of a motor car. Industrial heritage engages all of us and has left a legacy in the buildings, records and memories of people across Ireland, a legacy that paved the way for how we live today.
This Heritage Week we want to celebrate, share and enjoy aspects of this story. So bring your camera to along to the many Industrial and Design Heritage events taking place during Heritage Week and get snapping!
The closing date for the competition is midnight on Sunday 13th September.
Note: The picture has to be taken during National Heritage Week 2015.
The winning images in each category will be decided by a panel of photography and heritage experts and will be announced at the end of September.
How to Enter:
Send your photo (Max 2MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Photo Competition’ in the subject line.
Age Groups and Prizes:
Adults (21 years+)
First prize: €500 Irish Landmark Trust Weekend Stay voucher.
2 runner up prizes: OPW Family Heritage Card
Youth (13-20 years)
First prize: €150 One4All gift voucher
2 runner up prizes: Coillte Outdoor Access Card
Junior (7-12 years)
First prize: €75 One4All gift voucher
2 runner up prizes: €30 Easons online gift certificate
Terms and Conditions
- To enter the Competition, participants must send their photos to email@example.com. Entries into the Competition will not be accepted through any other channel.
- Photographs must have been taken between 22nd and 30th August at National Heritage Week events otherwise they are deemed ineligible.
- Entrants can submit up to 3 photos to the competition.
- All entries must be the property of the entrant.
- The deadline for the National Heritage Week Photo Competition is midnight Sunday 13th September 2015.
- The winning photos will be announced at the end of September 2015.
- Prizes are not transferable, nor can they be exchanged for other goods and there is no cash alternative.
- All winners will be notified by email and details of winners will be announced on heritageweek.ie
- The Heritage Council retains the right to use photos entered for future online and print promotional activities. By entering the Competition, you hereby acknowledge this and grant the Heritage Council permission to use the photos.
The above photo is the Winner of the Youth Category in the 2014 National Heritage Week Photo Competition. ‘Experience’ by John O’Byrne from Kildare. John describes the photo which his father appears in as “out in the shed, rebuilding an old bicycle, trying to preserve a bit of history”.
To view winners of the 2014 National Heritage Week Photography Competition click here.